Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Many Meetings (FOTR Book II) by Hildie

We've finished book one of The Fellowship of the Ring now and are on to book two.  Many Meetings the first chapter sets the stage of Rivendell, fills in a few holes and gives a bit more into the character of elves. 

We finally see that Frodo is okay, and has come through the ordeal at the Ford alive, and getting better (but not quite completely well).  We also find Gandalf!  Thank goodness he's there, what a worry when he wasn't around!  Also, the first bit gives us a little bit more of an idea how close Frodo was to really meeting a nasty fate, and how strong Hobbits actually seem to be. 

Who could possibly have held Gandalf captive?  I think that the bit when Gandalf is saying this shows a great deal of foreshadowing he says "Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey.  There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil.  Some area greater than I am.  Against some I have not yet been measured.  But my time is coming.  The Morgul-lord and his Black Riders have come forth.  War is preparing!"  Sounds pretty intense to me!  I know if I was Frodo and Gandalf had said that sort of thing, I'd have had the sense to pass right back out and fake a coma in Rivendell until it was all over!  EEK!

WOOHOO!  Finally we find out more about Strider.  He is a Ranger, but that's not nearly important enough name.  Too bad "normal" folk don't realize who they are and show some respect.  Them being the last remnant of the Numenorians!

Here we learn that Elrond called the flood and that Gandalf put on some touches.  While I loved the Arwen part up to the Ford in the film, I do think that she shouldn't have called the flood, and left it to be more like the book.  Ah well, it didn't ruin it at all so that's all good.

Sam, what a sweetie...  Frodo doesn't deserve a friend like that at all.  He's been so worried over him, and I think it was Sapphie that mentioned it... would Frodo have been so utterly worried if it was the other way around?  It's good to see Sam in his element though, he so deserves to be happy.

Man I think I could do with a feast like that.  It would be just about perfect right now.  Perhaps if we all ever meet we can put on a feast like that, and of course since we're the Tolkien nuts the three of us will have to be in the Glorfindel, Gandalf and Elrond positions!  *grins and winks*

Impressive that we meet Gloin here, and very endearing that Tolkien kept the simple bow and "Gloin at your service," from The Hobbit.  This is the perfect time to catch Frodo (and the reader) up on what's happened since The Hobbit.  We find out about the last of the twelve companions of Thorin, and also that something isn't right with the dwarves.  It's really setting up the next chapter isn't it.  At least the Beornings get a mention here.  I really loved them and always enjoy hearing about them.  Also the Dale seems to be doing quite well again! 

OOOO The Hall of Fire!  I think I could quite happily live there if it is anything like it is in my imagination.  I love poetry and singing and quiet. 

Bilbo!  Lovely, old Bilbo Baggins.  Frodo had wanted to see him.  Looks like everyone is getting their wish here!  I was a bit worried when the ring thing happened when Bilbo wanted to see it again.  We see where they got the icky look for that moment in the films, and that Bilbo seems to have more wits than Frodo because he was able to stay his hand.  Frodo really would have hit him if he'd tried to reach for the Ring more than he did.  That thing is sooooo EVIL!   

I think it's extremely cute that the elves let Bilbo do his songs and verse.  Actually I thought he did a pretty good job of it, though I'd probably have to say I also agree with Aragorn  when he said that Bilbo had cheek to write verses about Earendil in Elrond's house!  Ooo T!  We again see the Green Stone thing here!  Very interesting, you've got me watching for that now! 

I honestly wouldn't have been able to leave the hall as early as Frodo did.  Especially when they left right at the start of the A Elbereth Gilthoniel verse! 

Again good old Sam looking out for his master.  What a sweetheart!  Frodo should have the good sense to do for himself once in a while though. 

Can't wait to read the next chapter, it will definitely be answering a lot of questions!