Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Monday, March 28, 2005

At the Sign of the Prancing Pony (FOTR)- by Hildie

I'm a little bit behind here so I'm going to put up to posts in a row so I'm all caught up.

I have to say I was extremely excited to get to Bree, though I had forgotten about so much description at the start. I personally don't mind it, but I can see (Like T said) how it would be a bother to people just starting with Tolkien.

Butterbur is one of those guys that I love and hate and I can't ever quite decide which is the major emotion. I think I'm more annoyed by him than actually hating him, because he could have saved a great deal by using his head more than he does. I don't like the way he treats Nob and Bob, if my employer did that I'd kick him and quit.

I don't understand why the hobbits decide to go to the main room when they had that nice little private room. I mean honestly they know that they're supposed to be secret! And Frodo knows that they're all going to be drinking, and drink always loosens tongues, not to mention the fact that they truly don't know if the Black Riders could walk into a pub like that, I mean what if THEY had come in (yeah we know they won't but the hobbits don't know much or anything really about them other than to avoid them). All around I think the whole decision reeks of stupidity! You wouldn't want any more people to see you than absolutely necessary!!!!

Pippin's antics are indeed bad enough, but Frodo could simply have yelled "Hey Pip you young nut! That's enough stories for the night you're wagging their ears off!" and gone over and laughingly pulled him off his high horse. Then when he was down had a quiet word and made him shut up! Instead Frodo has to go and stick his foot in it! *kicks Frodo* Yeah he's my least favorite character, he's a whiney stupid fop in my opinion! I was going to quote Strider with what he said about Frodo, but T beat me to it, so I am just going to say "I completely agree with what she said" and leave it at that! The song Frodo sings, even though he should never have started it, was quite cute. My dad used to sing it really well actually. So I have to say that while he was an idiot for doing it he made a good song choice! When those guys leave, when Frodo has well and truly botched up, you just KNOW something is going to be wrong, and something go horribly amiss SOON! EEK!

And last in this chapter, Frodo's whining about the "private talks" he's going to have to have! *kicks him again* Honestly, he'll be lucky if his last private talk of the night isn't with the black riders!