Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Friday, March 11, 2005

The Old Forest (FOTR) by Hildie

This is yet another chapter that was completely overlooked in the movies, but I think it's a pretty good chapter. I have to say that parts of it are a bit slow, though I don't think that I'd consider them boring or anything, just simply slow. I find the forest to be extremely interesting, and quite a lot like Fangorn only with more malice. Though I won't go into more detail here considering this is nowhere near to that chapter. I can talk about it later.

The trees have always given me the creeps, and growing up I always remember walking or hiking through forest after this chapter and trying to "pick up vibes" of the trees. It never worked for me, I guess they were just dozing trees, or else happy. I did think it was quite effective the way the trees stifled any and all noise made by the hobbits, and Pippin's outburst making the trees get more angry was excellent. I think this is one of the chapters that you see Tolkien's real ability to make inanimate objects come to life (we've already seen that with the ring which basically has it's own personality anyway).

Can I just say that Merry rocks in this? He's the only one with half a brain and half an ounce of courage at this point! I mean honestly, he's the only reason they made it through the forest at all! Couldn't guess that by the film could you?

Ewwww you see one of the best "baddies" in this chapter as well! I used to really like (dislike) Old Man Willow. He is just soooo creepy! The description Tolkien uses is fantastic too! I love the whole crack closing and Pippin disappearing, and Merry almost being cut in two! Excellent!

Another of my favorite characters is introduced in this chapter. I always find it quite sad in the films when I get to the bit where it leaves out old Tom Bombadil. Tom Bombadil was one of my father's favorite characters, and so by default became one of my favorites. I've read the poem a few times, and I adore Tom. I think that he's awesome. Actually I think that he's one of the Valar that decided to remain in middle earth and give up his "god hood" or perhaps if not a Valar then a Maia? What do you think T? I think I've read somewhere that that is suspected elsewhere as well. I know they had to cut him out of the movie because truthfully he doesn't further the plot all that far. I could say much more about Tom but we're coming up to the chapter In the House of Tom Bombadil, and I think that all those comments would best be left till then.

Drat that forest for making them, leading them, forcing them to go the way it wanted, but hurrah for bringing them to Tom! Looking forward to the next chapter.