Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

A Conspiracy Unmasked (FOTR) by Hildie

This is definitely the chapter for you to take a breath, and relax the shoulder muscles after all the close encounters of the past chapters. I agree with you, oh Tolkien Twinnie, of mine that the Shire history and descriptions are fantastic. It's unfortunate that they are what kills it for some people who try reading LOTR. Ah well!

So about the chapter, where to start...

I guess I have to say that I'd probably have been a Bucklander if I were a hobbit. They sound intriguing! I actually find it very cute that Shire hobbits are distrustful of Buckland Hobbits and vice versa, though they're the same in pretty much every way.

Hobbits are the characters of my heart! I adore their attitute on life actually. I mean, they are content to simply eat, drink and be merry. They don't need the drive of industrialism, or the pressure of success to be happy. They just need a well laid table, mug of beer and a pipe with weed from the Southfarthing and all is well. It's fantastic, I love it. The bit in this chapter that makes me say this is when Frodo says that they'd already eaten with Farmer Maggot but they could do with a second supper as well. Then the whole bath scene is brilliant, I love it! It makes me smile.

I have to repeat what T said again here, Merry is very "with it" as compared to his silly self in the films. He's very sensible, and his comments come from a very thoughtful individual, rather than a goofy clown out for the laughs. I think that the way he tells Frodo they are going with him is brilliant. As for speeches in the book, it's one of my favorite bits, I think that it's very touching that they are going with him. Let me echo the younger hobbits when I say "Three cheers for Captain Frodo and company!"

You know the travel song that Merry and Pippin prepared? The one that begins: Farewell we call to heart and hall!
Through wind may blow and rain may fall,
We must away ere break of day
Far over wood and mountain tall.


I always find myself singing the melody in my head as I read it. I remember the tune the dwarves use in The Hobbit. I remember my dad singing it to me numerous times. It's impossible not to sing it, heck if I'm reading at home I sing it outloud! Gotta love it! Music was so important to the hobbits, yet another plus!

Poor Fatty though! That's all I have to say! I mean, death is literally going to be on his doorstep! Just thinking about what's going to happen to him staying by himself at Crickhollow... I mean remember he brought some of Frodo's old clothes, he's going to keep up the show that Frodo is still there, Crickhollow is quite out of the way (even in Buckland) and there's no great warrior around to protect Fatty from the Riders... they are coming they can't be stopped! EEEEEK! *hides under desk* I'm soooo with Pippin, I'd rather go into The Old Forest than wait for those Riders...

On to the Old Forest for us! What mysterious things will it hold for our happy company? What perils will we be going into? Either way it's sure to be exciting!

A quick question for Beck here. So this is very different from the film so far, obviously time was a major issue for the movie, but we're just wondering what you think of the added bits? Which parts do you think are necessary and which ones do you think you could do without? In other words, are you finding any bits boring at all or anything like that?

Happy Reading everyone!