Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

A Shortcut to Mushrooms (FOTR) By Hildie

This is one of my favorite chapters as well, and, like T, I adore the title. As far as my preferred diet (meaning my love of mushrooms), Farmer Maggot was one of my biggest influences! Every time I read this chapter I get hungry and would love to join the family for their big dinner before Farmer Maggot takes them to the ferry.

I think that the dread of the Black Riders and the subtle ways that Tolkien writes their terror into the book is extremely effective. Again, like T, I found it terrifying when they looked back up the hill and saw the Black Rider. Still gives me the shivers. The moment on the ferry does the same thing, always so close, always right there, there's no escape. How will those silly, loveable hobbits get away????

With regards to Sam (sorry if some of this is a repeat of what T said):
I liked his description of elves as being "above his likes and dislikes" and that they seemed "old and young, and so gay and sad." I think that it's really much better when Sam starts being more than just a goofy, loveable pack animal. I like the fact that his comments aren't lost on Frodo, and that he notices the change over his friend. I much prefer the new "enlightened" Sam. T mentioned the "Dangerous" quote so I won't retype that here, but I agree that it's majorly foreshadowing what happens in ROTK, not to metion the fact that the amount of loyalty Sam is showing to Frodo is something that cannot be bought at any cost. It's moments like that throughout LOTR that show the meaning of Friendship.

Sorry I didn't have any new info, or insights to share this time round. Will work on that for the next time. Actually you'll all laugh to know that I'm writing my observations and comments in my diary/planner while I'm on the bus. That's my Tolkien time. I'm sure that tons of people think I'm a nerd but that's all good!