Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Fog on the Barrow-Downs (FOTR) by Hildie

This chapter gives me chills. It is one of my favorite chapters from childhood and I remember many creepy dreams about the "hand crawling towards me" as I slept! EEK!

I absolutely adore the goodbye scene with Goldberry. It's very touching, and beautiful. My heart actually beats quick when I read that they see her on the hill beckoning them. What a great description of her as they see her! "Her hair was flying loose, and as it caught the sun it shone and shimmered. A light like the glint of water on dewy grass flashed from under her feet as she danced." Wow! Need I say more? And his descriptions of the land are just as stunning, and really reach me as a reader. Again, the last view they have of Goldberry causes major emotions in me. "As they looked she gave a clear call, and lifting up her hand she turned and vanished behind the hill." What an exit!

I think that Tom has some sort of gift of seeing the future, or possible futures. Why else would he have taught the hobbits that little song to call him? Honestly, I think his view of the future included a "safe trip" but also this "second" one that was deadly if they wouldn't have known how to call him for help. And being Tom I think he looked on the bright side hoping that they would reach the road without help. But again, why didn't he just assume that the "dangerous" one was the one that would have to be and go help them in the first place? It'd save a lot of time that's for sure, though it wouldn't have been nearly as exciting as what happened here!

I remember reading this and thinking, oh no don't sit don't SIT KEEP MOVING EAT ON THE ROAD GO GO GO, ARGH! Pretty much exactly that! I do think that the Barrow-Wights had put a spell on the hobbits to get them to sleep. I think that at the stone they ate and slept at the wights would have gotten them if they hadn't started moving again, and how silly of them not to rope together or walk hand in hand leading their ponies! If you've ever been in fog, even if you're following right on someone's heals it's possible to get seperated! Silly Hobbits! Use your heads more! And Frodo is the worst!?! *bangs head* Thought he was supposed to be intelligent? I suppose that's one thing they did in the movie, making him look smarter than Merry or Pippin or Sam in it, rather than leaving him as being the silly, stupid, hobbit he was in the book.

Love the description of the song of the barrow wight! Very chilly, very scary! If only I had the ability to describe like that. I was going to quote some of what it says about the song, but I couldn't pick my favorite or the most descriptive bit, so it would have had to be entirely too long... but I think you get my point just the same.

Good old Tom! Glad that the hobbits learned that song (even though it is shocking that Frodo finally did something right by calling Tom). I love the "lightness" that Tom brings to the end of this chapter. It really did relieve the tension and stress, and fear so well, but left the little bit of chill lingering. What would have happened to our band of hobbits without him?

I love the idea of Gold on the hilltops for anyone to find as a means to get rid of the wight. (Side note: Weren't the wights brought and controlled by the Witch King of Angmar originally, and then when he passed to Minas Morgal they decided to stay in the Barrow Downs?)

Another bit that I found completely intriguing was Tom's talk with the hobbits as he gathered treasure and handed out the little swords to the hobbits. He chose the brooch that he was taking to Goldberry to wear and said that it had once belonged to a fair lady, and that they would not forget her! I would have loved to hear more, who was that woman. Tom Tom always teasing with bits and pieces of riddles and stories. Oh and for the first time I really noticed his mention of the Men of Westernesse. I don't know how I've missed that before, or why, or perhaps I didn't miss it but this time because of this blog it's standing out more. Love that bit and how it again shows Tom's look into the future. Very interesting!

Finally they are back at the road and Tom isn't going to be there to save their sorry butts anymore either! On to Bree! Really enjoyed this chapter! Can't wait to read the next!