Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

A Knife in the Dark (FOTR) by Hildie

I read this chapter on the bus on the way to work on Wednesday (it's Friday now). I really enjoyed it.

The first bit with Fatty was brilliant. I literally got chills. I'm glad he had the brains to do what he did. The scene where the riders are standing at the door and each corner of the house is just terrifying! I love it! I think the horn of Buckland is brilliant as well, and the way that it's written AWAKE AWAKE FEAR FIRE FOES AWAKE! Very well done to make it seem urgent!

I know it would have been better for the hobbits and Strider to get away without being seen and to not have to deal with the crowds watching them, but I think it was well worth it just for Sam's bit in the farewell! Glad he's got good aim, but Ferny deserved even more! I still think they're quite innocent at this point, even though they've been chased by the riders they have no clue what they've really gotten themselves in to.

I think that Strider is well written as you can see right from the start the strength of his character. I've always really liked him, he was pretty much my "hero figure" when I was growing up. Funny as it sounds he reminds me of my Mom. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. She's very strong, practical and knows how to handle really tense situations... not to mention the fact that she'd "bitch slap" the riders and they'd run from the wrath of the Big D! LOL OKay back to the book...

I liked the descriptions of their route once they'd left the path. Think that heading for Archet was a good idea to throw their followers off. Glad that Strider figured Ferny would be following them even if they hadn't seen him. The Midgewater Marshes sound dreadful though. I think I'd go nuts just like the hobbits did with the Neekerbreekers!

The bit when Frodo couldn't sleep and saw the light and Strider standing and watching it really intrigued me when I first read it. I remembered what the light was and why it happened, since I've read this so many times, but still it makes me wonder what exactly DID happen on Weathertop. How many riders were there against Gandalf? Was it Gandalf? Could anyone else have had such power? Etc. Very intriguing!

The fact that there could be spies watching at every second, that evil could see them from Weathertop... Talk about stress level being through the roof. I think Sam hits the nail on the head after Striders "spies with unfriendly eyes" chat. He says "You do make me feel uncomfortable and lonesome, Strider!"

EEK! That's all I have to say to Frodo seeing the "black specks" moving on the road from the top of the hill there. Again it's a chilling part, as we KNOW what those things are, and how evil they are. We also know that there's going to be some sort of confrontation but we don't know just what will happen yet. I get this cold feeling in my gut when I think about being caught out in the open, alone, with those Black Riders! Strider's stories while they're waiting the evening away are really excellent. I think I appreciate them more after reading The Sil and Unfinished Tales because I know the whole story that goes with his little snippets. Oh and how could I forget to mention Sam's bit on Gil-Galad! GO SAM! By the way I adore the story of Luthien and Beren! Very good stuff!

*smacks Frodo* Talk about weak willed idiot! Seriously he can't keep that bloody ring off his finger can he! Every single time he shouldn't put it on, what's he go and do? HE PUTS IT ON! *kicks him* It's rather annoying that he's not got any stronger will power than that, though I guess you can kinda sympathize with him because he'd be terrified out of his mind. I do have to say that I liked this version of Weathertop better than the other. While the visuals in the film were perfect, Frodo's reaction was not. I didn't think he behaved bravely enough to do the Frodo of the book justice. He cowered and fell backwards in the film, but here he goes to stab his enemies legs. Stupid, but still took some guts! So he's been stabbed, by that cold Rider with the crown on his helm... his hand was glowing as was the knife that was holding it... what can that mean... at least they've still got the ring!

Excellent chapter! Wow lots of edge of the seat stuff here!