Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Ring Goes South (FOTR) by Hildie

I'm pretty much done with the book so I'm going to try to post each day and finish it off before the holidays.

So here goes... this chapter seems a bit slow to me, though towards the end of it it picks up a bit.

I didn't understand (and still don't) why they didn't hurry and make plans especially once they found the Black Riders were out of commission for a while. I mean I know they got around fairly quickly, but it seriously looks like if they'd have started earlier out from Rivendell that they'd have had even less chance of running into the Nine.

I also didn't understand why they picked Legolas (though I love him) as the elf when they could have picked an elf lord who would be more "powerful" in a situation when they were fighting the enemy. I know that they're not going as a "war party" but still... plan for the worst is what I would have thought! I do like the idea of the Nine Walkers against the Nine Riders though.

Glad that Bilbo gave Frodo his mithril coat and Sting. I used to love Sting as a kid. I carved them out of wood all the time, and instead of calling it Sting I decided that Sting had a partner just like Orcrist and Glamdring... I called it Slash. Had the runes woodburned into the blade and set some really pretty quartz crystal into it and all so that it looked cool.

Their trip must have been exhausting, even though they were obviously not moving as quickly as they could have during the day the distances had to be quite long. Also the Birds are seeking them out. In this it's Aragorn and Sam that see it rather than Legolas, and the rest were sleeping. Sure that the enemy knows where they are even though they were still, birds definitely have good eyesight. Oh and what was the creature that flew very high up but gave them all the sense of dread? Makes ya wonder? I couldn't find it to quote it directly when I was writing this review, but I honestly got the impression that it could possibly have been a wraith on wings at the time I read it. Was I close do you think?

The snow bit makes me cold. I can be sitting in the middle of a bright green field in 100 (that's 38C) degree weather and I'm still cold. Good thing Boromir and Aragorn are so hearty and strong. But again I have to say "Oh to be an elf" I love the description of Legolas walking on top of the snow. That's one thing I really noticed in the movie. I am so glad they put Orlando walking on top of the snow lightly. I also like Gandalf's banter with him in this bit. Boromir was also very smart to suggest the wood, if he wouldn't have the book would have ended rather quickly I think!

Ah so they're defeated and now have to find another way! The birds have surely seen them now (again) and who knows what's going to be happening. Oh Cruel Caradhras!

This is definitely not one of my best reviews, but I'm just trying to work my way back to on track (hopefully) and to be honest I read this chapter so long ago that I struggled to remember all I wanted to say. Will try to reread the next chapters before posting!