Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

A Jounrey in the Dark (FOTR) by Hildie

The next couple chapters are some of the most vivid in my imagination. My dad always loved Gimli and the Dwarves in particular so he really read this bit elaborately. I have very fond memories of sitting on his knee while he read bits in "dwarf voice" for Moria.

So what do I think now? They're still fab.

So now we know that the other path that Gandalf wanted to use, and Aragorn feared is none other than through the Mines of Moria. Aragorn and Gandalf have both been there and come out alive but Aragorn keeps saying to Gandalf that he fears for him if he should ever enter Moria again. Foreshadowing there for sure!

I really love the fight with the Wargs in this chapter. I think it was an unfortunate cut when it never made it into the movie. It's a bit of excitement after the storm (literally). I love Sam's comment of "Whatever may be in store for old Gandalf, I'll wager it isn't a wolf's belly." Always using his noggin' isn't he! Of course he was right, but it was intense there! Not only that but they weren't "normal ordinary wolves." So who sent them Sauron or Saruman? I think that the company is assuming that Sauron has sent them at this point.

Gimli is much more endearing in the book and less "humorous for humor's sake" and I like him a lot better that way. Sure he was the one to break up the "serious bits" in the movie but truthfully I thought it made him look a bit stupid and since I've always had a soft spot and respected Gimli it didn't always go over well with me. Here you see Gimli eager to see the halls of Durin, the great Khazad-dum. I love the fact that Gimli walks with Gandalf and helps them seek the road to Moria. I mean truthfully he's going to a home beloved to his people, that he's never seen with his own eyes. Balin may still be there, he may have friends and family there, they may find hope and help... they may not.

I find that there's a great deal of foreshadowing here as well with all the changes since the last time Gandalf has passed that way. It's also giving clues that there is something to do with water towards the Hollin Gate because of the whole stream drying up thing. What/who could have changed the course of a stream and why? Then when they finally reach the stone steps that should lead to the gate directly we see the reason. The huge, black lake nearly up to the very walls of Moria. Of course no one would want to swim it... I mean really come on! Gandalf said "It has an unwholesome look." Beautiful lake meant for a recreational swim? I think not... it's been described in such a way that already is has an evil personality all it's own. (TANGENT: I love how Tolkien can give inanimate objects like the lake or the ring their own personality, very good author to do that to such depths. Like here he actually makes us feel the dread of the lake, and that it's watching in some way.)

Awww this is also where we find out that Sam has to say goodbye to his beloved Bill. How pitiful, Sam does so love the little beast, and he's been so faithful all the way from Bree. Very sad, it still makes me flipple a little every time I read it both for the pony and for Sam.

So has anyone ever noticed that just when they're about to get in deep doo-doo the day always is drawing to it's end and instead of twinkling stars there are cold stars glinting. I mean that alone has a bit of an 'oh crap here we go again, eek' factor to it.

Now they've managed to find a way around the lake but again we get a moment of 'eekness' (I'm making that a word.) when they have to cross that gross, slimy creek. It sounds absolutly rancid with another fabulous description. YUCK! Also what made that sound? The Swish and Plop....?

We see the elven and dwarven angst a bit here as well. Gandalf is good by putting blame on both parties equally.

The time at the gates is always interesting to me. I much prefer the written story to the film here. I didn't like that Frodo found the way and asked what the word for friend was in the film. I think that Gandalf was quite capable of figuring that out on his own, after all he is a powerful wizard. I also like the fact that it was Merry who, upon having the inscription read to him, asked what does that mean "Speak friend, and enter." It was not Frodo he doesn't have the sense god gave a goose. (NOTE: Anti-frodo sentiment is not to be helped. He's a moron. End Note)

MELLON! Brilliant, I love the whole "Those were happier times." I mean it's said often enough about our own past. I think comments like those make the characters seem more human and the events are put into perspective a little bit more. We see that it used to be a big and beautiful area, that elves and dwarves travelled freely and the password wasn't so much that as someone saying "I'm a friend" and being allowed to come in. Ah indeed, those were happier times.

Another EEKNESS! The seething snakes thing was just about too much for me. I'd have passed out/grossed out/died at that, especially if one had grabbed my ankle. I hate snakes. I know that we don't see as much of the Watcher in the Water as we do in the film (which I thought was quite good by the way) but we still get the ick factor as well with it. Sam to the rescue again, poor old Bill... *sighs* He chose his master (even thouh his master is an idiot). Now they're inside Moria and the way behind is blocked. I felt awful about the trees as well, I mean if they'd stood there when it was the great kingdom, and all that think how old those trees were. Older than Gandalf himself it seems! That's old indeed!

Now they're in the dark, with only the light on Gandalf's staff. I do have to say that I have a clastrophobia thing in utter darkness. I think this would have been quite hard for me. Especially considering that there are wells, cracks, steps, turns, twists etc... in the pitch black, except for Gandalf's staff which he's not got on the "really bright daylight" setting of course. I have to say I'd have been a bit like Pippin, 7 feet isn't a short distance, especially for someone with little short legs like the hobbits.

I could go on and on about the travel in Moria but I'll simply say I find them all exceedingly brave to travel with the small amount of complaining that you hear. The only thing that's left to be said at this point is FOOL OF A TOOK! What's making that tapping now that he's thrown the stone in. Ah the poo's gonna hit the fan sooner or later me thinks... and I think sooner rather than later as well!

So they're in that great cavernous hall now to spend the night. Close to the end now we think... Very sad when they find Balin's Tomb. Poor Gimli! I feel for him. At least we know he made it back that far. BALIN SON OF FUNDIN LORD OF MORIA. Someone needs to give Gimli a hug.