Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

The Bridge of Khazad-Dum (FOTR) by Hildie

We ended on a sad note last chapter. Never once have I been able to stop between these two chapters, I used to even beg Dad so much when he was reading it to me that he'd go on from there. The next chapter is one of the most exciting in the book. It's all action that's for sure.

So they find the book and read bits to learn what the fate of Gimli's friends and family actually was in the dark of Moria. It is, as Gandalf says, grim reading. At least it gives us some idea of where in Moria the Fellowship is actually located. The Chamber of Marzabul (Chamber of Records). Here we also learn that others have had issues with the Watcher in the Water... poor Oin. Yes, another name from The Hobbit... so even fewer of the original dwarves from that story are still living. It always makes me sad to hear they have died.

Okay now to the exciting bit. Drums in the deep, we cannot get out, they are coming! I always thought that was done really well with Gandalf just reading it then the same thing happening to our Fellowship! My heart always starts beating hard in this bit! I love Tolkien's description of this bit and what's happening! I think that we start to see a bit of Gandalf's strength here, though it's greatly played down. We also see that the company has some brave individuals who are actually pretty good fighters, especially Boromir and Aragorn (which we already knew). Sam is also mentioned here as defeating an orc, even though he gets a small cut in the process.

So they've managed to defeat the orcs and drive them back a little. They go down the stairs and wait as Gandalf tries to hold them off. We later find out that Gandalf was amost destroyed. What could that have been? To hear that stated by Gandalf himself must have terrified the company. Now they definitely would want to run like the wind.

Balrog! For as long as I can remember that word has given me the chills. The bit where Legolas is terrified and unable to loose his arrow is forever etched in my memory, as well as the reactions of the rest of the Fellowship. Very intense! Now we know what caused the problems for Gandalf up above, and what nearly broke him.

Now they've got to make the run over the bridge, the last run, the Bridge of Khazad-dum. I love the description of the Balrog too. Definitely very well done, I thought the movie did a great job with the way he moved and looked as well.

Now we see Gandalf is definitely the powerful one here, he said "This foe is beyond all of you, fly!" Ever since I first heard this I've always been interested and intrigued by what Gandalf says to the Balrog.

"You cannot pass," he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass." Wow! Do I need to say more here?

I have to say honestly that I always get a lump in my throat in this bit. I know that Gandalf lives, anyone who has read the books or seen the movies knows that Gandalf lives, but still... very moving and very sad. Gandalf has won and defeated the Balrog who is falling to his doom... then he uses his whip and drags Gandalf after him. What shall the company do without Gandalf, yes they've got Aragorn, but we've just seen that there are some foes beyond even Aragorn...