Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Mirror of Galadriel (FOTR) by Hildie

Have I mentioned I love Galadriel before? She rocks! So this chapter is one of my favorites just for her. I think the description of Caras Galadhon is stunning, and in fact one of Tolkien's best. Good stuff!

I've never been overly impressed with Celeborn. I always scoff a bit at the whole "he is the wisest of the elf lords" especially considering that, even in their first brief meeting, he jumps to rash decisions about Gimli and the Fellowship after hearing about the Balrog. Seems he's a bit hasty and doesn't really think before words pour out of his mouth. Who can say?

I actually liked the way that they did this bit in the movie. I think that the way she "spoke and looked at their souls" was spot on.

The singing songs of mourning for Gandalf again makes me feel a bit sad. I believe I'd be more like Legolas. Frodo does give it a go though I think Sam would have done better. I'm biased though.

I find Galadriel to be very interesting (especially after reading The Sil and UT). She's very intelligent and wins Gimli over quickly. I love that bit and don't think we saw enough of it in the movie.

The part with the Mirror of Galadriel is brilliant. She is definitely awesome and I love the way that the elven ring, Nenya, is revealed to Frodo, and what Sam saw. I think her speech is one of my favorite ever written:

"And now at last it comes. You will give me the Ring freely! in place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning adn the Night! Fair as teh Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightening! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!"

Actually I never quite understood her statement of "I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel." until I'd read The Sil and UT. I mean I had an idea what was going on and it wasn't confusing or anything really, but now I really understand and it makes much more sense. (Even if this sentence doesn't.)

I think that Celeborn is only intelligent because Galadriel always tells him what he should really be doing... she should be the one to get all the credit!

It always happens too soon that they leave, and unfortunately there isn't ever nearly enough of Galadriel! Great chapter all the same!