Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Farewell to Lorien (FOTR) by Hildie

This is a short chapter but I always dread it as much as I'd assume the Fellowship dread it. I don't like to leave the beauty of Lothlorien, it's always like a breath of fresh air in the writing after dark times. Oh well, it's time to press on.

Here we find out that the company is going to be travelling by boat rather than by land. The Lady and Lord have given them elven boats to use to travel down Anduin until they meet their destination. I think that this is definitely a good slow start to get back into the adventure of the story. It gives the reader a chance to think through some of the options presented to the Fellowship as well as "giving the characters time" to decide on a course.

I love the part where they see the Swan Boat of the Lord Celeborn and the Lady Galadriel. It's always beautiful. I think it's the Brother Hildabrant (sp) that did a painting of that for one of their calendars but it always sticks in my mind. The farewell feast is always sad for me, and the gifts very touching. I was so bummed out that the parting gifts didn't make it into the movies in the cinema. I thought that the moments in this chapter are some of the most important in all the time in Lorien. Sam's gift and Gimli's gift were the sweetest in my opinion.

I think the friendship between Legolas and Gimli is awesome as well.

Not much more to say about this chapter, it's pretty self explanatory. I always enjoy the Lothlorien chapters, but they always seem to go so quickly.

What will the Fellowship decide? We don't have much left of Fellowship of the Ring, only two more chapter!

Happy Reading.