Bag End

A blog dedicated to the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien, particularily The Lord of the Rings.

Monday, May 09, 2005

The Breaking of the Fellowship (FOTR) -by Hildie

The last chapter in the Fellowship of the Ring. This chapter, in my opinion, gets back to better Tolkien than the last. It's got a bit more happening in it. We now are to the point where a decision has to be made. As readers, we're also aware that some sort of confrontation between Frodo and Boromir is going to happen before any decision is made.

I don't really like or dislike Boromir, though I think he's likeable enough. I actually feel quite sorry for the fellow as I think the ring has really been trying to get a hold on him, and as we can see here it has succeeded. I wonder if Frodo would have made the necessary decision if Boromir hadn't tried to take the ring?

Sam is a darling! I think this part shows utter loyalty. It's very endearing and very sweet. And as we know, oh how well we know, without Sam the whole quest would have been lost. Sure Frodo is the ringbearer and all that jazz, but I think that the biggest change and the biggest hero is probably Sam. He's not the one that does the "greatest deeds" nor the "greatest warrior" but he is definitely a hero.

The Fellowship is broken and in total chaos. Aragorn, Pippin, Merry, Legolas, Gimli and Boromir are scattered seeking Frodo. Frodo and Sam are off to the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. What is in store for our characters? No one knows!

I think it's an excellent cliff-hanger ending to the first book. I know the movie gives a little bit more with the attack of the orcs and all, and I also like that. Either one leaves the reader/watcher wanting more!

-------------------------------------------
Now I have a little upkeep and housework here at Bag End to finish off with. As everyone knows I'll be away on holiday with the PB for the next five weeks so I won't be able to start posting on the Two Towers until I return. I'm looking foward to continuing this process and reading with you all.

For the future I'd like to continue in the same vein that we've done on this first book. Meaning the four days to post about a chapter etc, but I'd also like to try to make it a little less "formal" at times and create more of a discussion type atmosphere. I know that Beck and I have spoken about post length, topics and questions... I think it's easy to forget that this doesn't have to be an essay but can simply be thoughts or ideas, statements, questions, concerns, definitions... it can be one word or thousands, either is fine and anything is good. It doesn't have to be limited to a single post over the four days.

What do you both think? A little bit more open forum as well as keeping it as it is? Oh and Becker don't forget to use your Tolkien Twinnie resources! Don't worry if you don't quite get something and don't get bogged down, we'll help you out! :D It'll be fun!

Look forward to continuing our Bag End blog together! Cheers everyone and I'll see you here after the holiday!
H